Town Survey Update 1998/2001

London Road West: Sheet twenty three

Building: Former St. Nicholas’ Infants School Photo: E0

History:

Established in 1835 at the entrance to Lime Tree Walk, the St. Nicholas’ Infants School moved next to no. 59 in 1849 and was altered in 1880, being converted to a classroom in 1885, having 160 children in early days. The school moved out in 1971 and building was altered to a shop, Impulse Lighting and perfumery. Subsequently Café Rouge (see photograph E0), and then Ishi – both restaurants.

Current Use:

former st nicholas infants school E0

Simply Italian– restaurant

Description:

Single storey gable end set back towards rear of nos. 59/61. Rear of building set at right angles and parallel to London Road and Victoria Road at rear. Upper part of elevation red brick under plain clay tile roof, white fascia with single moulding and small arched white painted timber window in apex and larger white painted timber three light window below. Steep tile pyramid ‘Bell Tower’ feature on white painted light timber frame at apex of roof ridge. Ground floor eight bay sliding folding full height doors with numbers five and six from LHS double doors opening under medium deep fascia with lead flashing. Fascia, doors and plant boxes on LHS/RHS painted mid-blue with white script lettering ‘Simply Italian’ on fascia and windows, brass kicking plates and handles to painted double doors.

Forecourt, slate chippings sloping down to rear of pavement with brick on approximate one third of width on RHS on pavement edge.

Comment:

Attractive modest building, unclear what impact latest alterations will have, useful open area in front.

Importance: B

Not included in previous survey.