Town Survey Update 1998/2001

London Road West: Sheet twenty six

Building: 67-67C Photos: D29, D31 and D33

History:

Corn chandlers and wine and spirit warehouse from about 1871. Model shop 1949, Sportscraft 1955 and Patmore part from 1956. No. 67B was Pegasus Gallery, and No. 67C was Second Time Around (see photograph D29).

Current Use:

67 67A london rd D29

67 67A london rd D33

No. 67 ‘Bowlers’ – The Cookware Co., residential above.

67 67A london rd D31

No. 67a Patmore Limited – electrical engineers.

No. 67b Pressed for Time – ironing service.

No. 67c Pressed for Time – ironing service.

Nos. 67a, 67b and 67c – Patmore Limited, upper floors.

Description:

‘Victorian’ warehouse/industrial style building on three floors, upper floors in yellow stock and off white bricks with string courses at head and sills of windows carried round to blank RHS north elevation. Steep pitched slate roof with brick corbelled to gutter. Single dormers at roof level over centre of no. 67 and junction between nos. 67b and 67c with openings for hoists and circular brick around window over the latter. North RHS side would appear to have been added later to same style. Ground floor units stepped in two at fascia height level but in four at ground/pavement level to take account of road levels. Nos. 67, 67b and 67c retain elegant cast iron shop fronts and all retain maroon coloured marble pilasters with ionic capitals but only nos. 67, 67a and 67c retain ornamental brackets at each end of fascias. No. 67 double timber doors recessed with glazed display windows curved into it under shallow cast iron ventilation grilles under medium depth fascia under sloping head and blind. White painted variable height stall riser. No. 67a has modern shop front with single door to LHS with single pane display window over varied height brick stall riser. Deep fascia over shallow fanlights to display window. Nos. 67b and 67c are a pair with single doors at entrance between with fine cast iron display windows divided in three with cast iron ventilation grilles over and under medium height full width fascia with moulded capping. White painted stall risers curved to suit windows above and heights to suit road levels. First and second floors except for the two hoists the second floor retains original small sash windows under brick arch heads and first floor to no. 67 retains original three sash windows, although brick arches are visible to nos. 67b and 67c where windows have opened up to single fixed units. On first floor of no. 67a arches have been removed and a large double plain window inserted under brick soldier course.

Comment:

Chief attraction sophistication of delicate cast iron shop fronts retained and simple arrangement of original windows, from which modern insertions and advertising detracts.

The entrance to nos 67-67C, now Oaklets and the Ironing shop (2010), originally had ornamental mosaic floors at the entrance showing entwined initials FHB (for FH Bowlers) in the style of the late nineteenth century. That of Oaklets has been replaced by a new mosaic of their oak tree logo. The old one was in poor state, but that at the Ironing Shop entrance is still in good condition (see photo below).

mosaic

Importance: B/C