TOWN SURVEY UPDATE 2010

UPPER HIGH STREET EAST Building: Almshouses Nos 1-16a

Listing:

Grade II*, LBS number 172175

History:

Almshouses endowed 1432 in the will of Sir William Sevenoak. Rebuilt between 1729-31 as part of the total design for the school using money from the sale of Sevenoak’s London properties, and housed 16 people with a nurse. Modernized in the 1950s to include toilet and bathroom facilities in each pair of houses. Modernized again in the 1980s when each pair of apartments was combined to make one larger apartment and the number of residents was halved. In 1997, the Burlington Room was built providing a central room for social activities.

Current Use:

Sev_023

Sheltered accommodation run by the Sevenoaks Almshouse Charity

Description:

Symmetrical two-storey block with central pedimented feature with arched entrance. Built of coursed local stone blocks with flint infilling to mortar joints, with moulded wooden eaves and gutter. Ridge Welsh slate roof with both ends hipped. Recessed round-headed stone alcoves in centre of six-window façade on both floors of each wing. At each end, facing north and south, recessed tripartite “Palladian Motif” panels. In an article by Richard Hewlings in the Georgian Group Journal in 2001, he draws attention to the shimmering or rippling effect achieved with the ragstone. (See Sevenoaks School for details of the architects involved.)