TOWN SURVEY UPDATE 2010

UPPER HIGH STREET EAST Building: No 18 The Old House

Listing:

Grade II*, LBS number 172184

History:

Once the Cat or Three Cats Inn, but probably known as the Old House since the new frontage in the seventeenth century. In the Austin family in C18 and C19. A home for retired Salvation Army officers in the 1950s.

Current Use:

Sev_012

Sev_013

Sev_014

Sevenoaks School Girls Boarding House

Description:

Built around 1700, with a symmetrical seven window façade of two storeys with centre pedimented projection. Red brick with blue headers. Flat arches over windows. Evidence in the brickwork on the façade indicates that the elevation has been altered and that there was originally a covered yard to extreme left giving access to stables at rear. Heavy projecting painted wooden cornice with concealed boxed leaded gutter. Hipped Welsh slate roof. Side elevations with tiled roof. Four flat-roofed leaded dormers with plain wooden casements. 18C panelled door up three stone steps in rather heavy moulded doorcase with fanlight over. Fluted Doric pilasters and small oval windows with leaded tracery on either side of door. 3 sash windows to left on ground floor and two similar on right. The third sash window on the right has been divided into two slit windows with central mullion and another small slit window added at extreme right. Central sash window on first floor with two oval windows and three sash windows on either side. Areas with four basement windows to front. Late C18 red brick addition of 2 storeys to right of main elevation. Short brick screen wall to extreme right with C18 panelled and studded door giving access to passageway at side.