TOWN SURVEY UPDATE 2010

UPPER HIGH STREET EAST Building: Nos 28,30

Listing:

Grade II, LBS number 172187

History:

In the C19, No.30 housed G. Orchard’s bunshop and this building had probably always been an alternative or extra tuck shop to Sevenoaks School until the retirement or death of the Budgen brothers, Bert & Jack, in the early 1960s. Their father ran one as a greengrocer in 1908 with Richter’s tobacconist next door. In the 1960s the shopkeeper was Flinton. Before it became Greggs, it was The Old Coffee Shop

Current Use:

Sev_009

Greggs Restaurant

Description:

Probably a C17 framed structure but with later C18 and C20 elevational treatment. Projecting Victorian shop fronts on the ground floor. First floor half-timbered with 2 wide C18 sash windows. Ridge tile roof with small flat-leaded dormer to left.