TOWN SURVEY UPDATE 2010

UPPER HIGH STREET EAST Building: Nos 34, 36 Temple House

Listing:

unlisted

History:

The area occupied by 32-36 once had similar buildings to those still at 28-30 and 31-37, including among them a shop known as the Old Curiosity Shop, possibly after the success of Dickens’s novel of 1840-41. With the enhanced prosperity of Sevenoaks following the arrival of the railways in the 1860s, the old buildings were demolished and replaced in 1884 by the present Victorian building called Temple House. In 1908, it was occupied by a surgeon called Burnett and after the Second World War it became the Temple House Guest House. Subsequently used until recently as offices of Auker, Hutton & Co, Chartered Accountants, with residential flats above.

Current Use:

Sev_008

Sevenoaks school staff and other accommodation with Biology department to rear.

Description:

Three storey building with basement in red brick set back from road and above street level. Façade basically symmetrical, 3-3-3 windows on ground floor, 2-4-2 on first and 2-5-2 windows on second floor. 2-3-2 windows to basement. Supporting wings under gable ends slightly proud of centre under plain tiled roof. Rubbed brick lintels over windows. Moulded brick features to eaves, string courses above and below windows. Decorative brackets below first and second floor windows. Terracotta, 1884, date panel on either side of main entrance door in centre of ground floor. Windows generally six or eight small rectangular panes above large square or rectangular plain glass panes. Single pane single entrance door with full height rectangular plain glass side panels and arched glazed fanlight. Cast iron (?) white painted balcony on first floor centre windows on cast iron white painted cantilevered brackets. Main entrance door reached by short flight of cantilevered black painted cast iron stairs and railings from five stone steps up from rear of pavement. Grass slopes on each side raised on three courses of brick above pavement level with mature sycamore trees on each side. In the West Kent volume of the Pevsner series, John Newman describes it as “tall, gabled and of very red brick, a typically insensitive insertion of 1884, insensitively plonked on a grass mound.”