TOWN SURVEY UPDATE 2010

UPPER HIGH STREET WEST Building: Park Grange Lodge and Gates

Listing:

Grade II, LBS Numbers 449127 and 449128. Date of listing 24/06/1988

History:

Lodge and gated entrance to Park Grange, which was built in mid 19C by Mr George Berkeley, replacing the earlier Lambard mansion called Sevenoaks Park. The property was left to Sevenoaks School in the wills of Charles and Edward Johnson, who had lived in the house since 1911.

Current Use:

Photo: Not yet taken

Sevenoaks School

Description:

About 1869 of Kentish ragstone in Italianate style, with chinoiserie metal glazing to windows, slate roof and two cement chimney stacks. One storey three window façade, set end on to street. Central projecting gable with deep moulded wooden bargeboards with brackets and four-light canted bay with chinoiserie panes. To left a gable with three-light window and chinoiserie panes and to right a similar gable and two-light window. Wooden porch is angled to right of central window. Chamfered wooden piers with brackets. Four-panelled door, the top two panels glazed. Side elevation to street has projecting window with brackets.

Gate piers in cast iron with moulded plinths, panelled square piers and moulded cornices with stylized swan-neck pediments to front and rear topped by ball finials. Elaborate cast-iron gates with dograils, scrolled borders and overthrow with scrollwork and cast iron foliage. Central motifs with entwined initials and foliage.

Section of curved ragstone walling with stone cornice to either side for a distance of about five feet.