TOWN SURVEY UPDATE 2010

UPPER HIGH STREET WEST Building: Oak End and Little Oak End

Listing:

Grade II, LBS number 172200

History:

According to Jane Edwards, this house originally faced west and the stone front of the original house can still be seen from the garden. In the 19C it belonged to W.P.Holcroft and was partly demolished and the front rebuilt. The Misses Northey were living in it in 1908 and in the 20C it has been owned by A.C.Knocker of Knocker and Foskett, Solicitors, and by L.A.G.Hawkes, a local builder and developer.

Current Use:

Sev_024

Private

Description:

C18 with mid C19 alterations and modern restoration. In the West Kent volume of the Pevsner series, John Newman notes that “Cosmetic work by Baillie Scott and Beresford, Arts & Crafts architects, has made it properly unassertive.” Symmetrical 3.1.3. façade. Centre projecting tile-hung gable on first floor supported on carved stone brackets and brick pilasters on ground floor. Centre vertically panelled oak door with pointed ogee arch over of red brick. Elevation of red brick with blue headers. Flat arches over windows of rubbed red headers. Red brick dressings to windows carried up full elevational height as vertical panels. End corner brick pilasters. Brick plinth. Ridge tile roof with four gable dormers. Centre gable with moulded bargeboards. Sash windows with glazing bars on both floors. Mullioned and transomed lattice casement on first floor in centre projecting gable, with small attic window above. C19 ornamental cast iron railings in front of building bordering the pavement.