TOWN SURVEY UPDATE 2010

UPPER HIGH STREET WEST Building: The Royal Oak Hotel

Listing:

Grade II, LBS number 172202

History:

Built as an inn, around 1800, and formerly called the Black Bull, it had at one time, according to Jane Edwards, a long room projecting beyond the front of the house which was used occasionally for balls and as officers’ quarters in time of war. This was demolished in her time when the innkeeper was a Mr Sutton.

Current Use:

Sev_026

Hotel and restaurant

Description:

Early 19C. Symmetrical 1.3.1. façade of three storeys. Centre slightly recessed. Elevation of coursed local stone blocks with flint infilling to mortar joints.

Stucco band above ground floor windows. Rusticated red brick quoins to façade wings and dressings to windows. Flat lintel arches over windows of painted red brick. Centre half-glazed and polished double doors, with glazing bars and rectangular fanlight over. Centre projecting porch with coupled plaster Doric columns supporting moulded stucco entablature with typical triglyph frieze and guttae, with soffit of moulded cornice with mutules above At one time, there were ornamental cast iron railings above the porch forming a verandah. Tripartite sash windows on ground floor. Oblong sash windows on first floor. Square sash windows on second floor. All sash windows with glazing bars. Flat projecting eaves and gutter. Low pitched hipped slate roof. 2 brick stacks.