TOWN SURVEY UPDATE 2010

UPPER HIGH STREET WEST Building: Nos 13,15 &17

Listing:

Grade II*, LBS numbers 172204, 172205, 172206

History:

Originally a 16C inn, now divided into the Old Post Office and private houses. In Brian Raynor’s biography of John Frith, Scholar and Martyr, he refers to Hilary Knox-Johnston’s researches on No. 15, which found that this was in fact the inn known as the Three Cats which the Frith family lived in from 1520. (Compare The Old House, 18 High Street.) Before the post office, the shop was kept, according to Jane Edwards by a Mrs Chard and was popular with young people for the sale of jellies and buns. In 20C, it was known as Ma Woods’ and was the main Sevenoaks School Tuck shop. The walls and ceiling were covered with the signatures of the boys. No 17 had shutters to the central casement window which lowered to form a shop counter.

Current Use:

Sev_030

Tuck shop and two private.

Description:

C16 or earlier framed structure, 2.1.3. façade. Large projecting central gable with fish scale tile-hanging on first floor. This is the eastern end of a structure at right angles to the street. Supporting wings on either side with plain tile-hanging on first floor. Continuous ridge tile roof, half hipped to left and with ridge stack to left of central gable. Old Post Office at southern end has C19 shop front on ground floor with projecting splayed shop windows with stucco fronts and centre plain boarded shop door. First floor tile hung with slight pentice projecting over shop front on ground floor. One small lattice casement to left on first floor. Larger mullioned lattice casement to right with tiled eave raised over window head to form half dormer. Stucco front continues on ground floor to right with tile=hung first floor.