TOWN SURVEY UPDATE 2010

UPPER HIGH STREET WEST Building: Chantry Cottage and Chantry House

Listing:

unlisted

History:

Before 1905 the part of the land to the South of the Chantry and within the curtilage was occupied by outbuildings including what appears to be a two storey barn running east to west and extending to the back of pavement. These outbuildings were demolished and the Chantry greatly extended into this space forming what is now Chantry House. Chantry Cottage appears to have been constructed as a linked but separate stable block with a hayloft and staff accommodation. The coach entry subsequently converted into a garage. In the early seventies the whole of the Chantry premises were sold by the Hankey Foundation. Chantry House became a separate residence with the Cottage a third. The garden was also subdivided at this time.

Current Use:

Sev_031

Private residences.

Description:

Chantry Cottage has modest arts and crafts forms and details in red brick under plain tile roofs entered from a small yard. A terracotta plaque records the date as 1905. Chantry House skillfully imitates the materials and details of The Chantry without detracting from it being set back from the street behind a small garden with an exuberant topiary hedge and a separate entrance. It appears that various elaborations to the street scene including the stone balls capping the gate piers were added at this time. On the Garden side it is more formal with full height doors and windows onto the garden from what may have been a billiard room.