TOWN SURVEY UPDATE 2010 UPPER HIGH STREET WEST Building: The Chantry Listing: Grade II*. LBS number 172207

History: In 1257 Boniface, Archbishop of Canterbury issued a grant of chantry for Henry De Grand the Rector “on behalf of the souls of his father and mother and all christian souls for ever”. The Chantry was abolished in 1548. The cellars contain an apsidal space which may be the remnants of a medieval building. The present building was built in the late 17C. In the late 18th century it was occupied by a family called Streatfield, whose daughter married a Mr Lightfoot and the Misses Lightfoot were still living there in Jane Edwards’s days. There were originally outbuildings to the south of the main block, including a what appears to be a two storey barn extending to the road. These were demolished in 1905, when the house was greatly extended by the construction of the present Chantry House and Chantry Cottage. By the 1920s, it was occupied by the Misses Beatrice and Eva Hankey. Beatrice Hankey died in 1933 and is buried in the New Churchyard of St Nicholas church. The Blue Pilgrims Fellowship, a missionary charity was founded by Beatrice in 1902 and appears to have occupied the buildings until The Beatrice Hankey Foundation sold the entire property in the 1970s when The Chantry became a separate residence.

Sev_032Current Use: Private Residence.

Description: c.1700. Symmetrical 1.5.1.windows façade. Supporting wings on either side projecting and connected in front by low screen wall with stone coping, enclosing paved courtyard with centre C20 wrought-iron gates. Centre brick gate piers with two stone bands and projecting moulded stone copings surmounted by ornamental stone balls. Random stone plinth. Red brick elevation with flat lintel arches over windows of rubbed red headers. Continuous stucco bands above ground floor and first floor windows. Projecting painted wooden moulded cornice. Stucco bands and cornice continued around front and side of projecting wings. Mullioned and transomed windows with square-paned leaded casements. Small rectangular recessed brick panels above stucco band on first floor. Ground floor with centre panelled door with fanlight over in slightly projecting stucco surround with moulded cornice. Fanlight with tracery in raised flat segmental arch. Door and fanlight contained in recessed round-headed arched panel. Centre first floor window with slightly projecting painted brick surround surmounted by moulded stucco broken pediment. Centre five-window façade with hipped tiled roof with three flat-roofed tiled dormers containing casements. Supporting wings of two storeys with hipped tiled roofs. Recessed brick panels on ground floor with window above. Side-elevations of supporting wings facing inwards towards courtyard with window on ground floor and recessed brick panel on first floor. Flush oval brick panels set in larger brick panels of first floor facing inward.