TOWN SURVEY UPDATE 2010

UPPER HIGH STREET WEST Building: The Old Vicarage, formerly listed as no 17

Listing:

Grade II, LBS number 172209

History:

Until 1750, St Nicholas had a Rector, often absent, most notably in the case of the Elizabethan poet, subsequently Dean of St Paul’s, John Donne, and a Vicar who actually did all the work of the church. In Jane Edwards’s time both buildings were standing. The Rectory, which stood roughly where the present church car park is, was demolished in the fifties, though some remnants of the lower ground floor can be seen in St Nicholas Drive. In C20, the Old Vicarage has been a private residence at one time known as West Winds.

Current Use:

Sev_034

Private

Description:

Early 18C. 3-window façade. Stucco with stucco plinth. Ridge tile roof. End stacks. Two hipped dormers containing casements. Centre panelled door with rectangular fanlight over. Gothic leaded tracery. Pilasters on either side of door with grooved rustication supporting entablature with grooved voussoir lines and flat projecting moulded hood over. Projecting C20 one-storey rendered additions to right. Ragstone rubble to end walls.